No Video, No Picture, Just Words--The Rest is Up To You

Let me share with you something that happened to me last week.  Thursday I had to go pick up a lawnmower in Neeses to mow my parents' property in Cordova.  When I got to the pick-up site something caught my eye in the middle of this large yard.  It was a mayonnaise jar moving through the grass!  That will get your attention.  Then I noticed that something was sticking out the back of it propelling it along.  My first thought was that it was a raccoon or possum because it was sort of brown and furry, but I quickly realized that it was a young cat with his head stuck in this jar!  No telling how long it had been in this predicament, but I quickly reached down and tried to gently twist and pull the jar off of this poor cat.  Finally, I got his head out and it was covered with the oily, pasty residue of old mayonnaise, something reddish, and some ants.  I felt such a relief for this little critter.  The cat looked up at me as if to say, "Thanks!"  And then he took off running to a nearby house.  Hopefully, he was able to get himself cleaned up or maybe somebody tried to wash him off a bit.  But I was just so thankful to have pulled up at just the right time to rescue this poor little creature and I thanked God for giving me a divine appointment to rescue a cat that day.

After I loaded up the mower and started toward Cordova, the thought hit me, "Oh I should have taken a picture or video of the rescue and showed it to all of you!"  But then I immediately thought, "I couldn't do that!  How could I waste one second to video the suffering of a little animal in desperate need of help just to make a post that would get a lot of views?"  Haven't you ever seen a video of somebody or some animal in desperate need of help and wondered why someone could continue to shoot a video instead of dropping the phone and jumping in to help someone in need?

So instead of a picture or video I have tried to give you a written descriptive account of what happened so that you could imagine for yourself what it looked like and what it was like to rescue a little life hanging in the balance.  Then I realized, "Hey!  This is what we use to do all the time before cell phone videos!  We wrote books and people would hold a bound collection of pages in their hands and actually read it and actually enjoy it!"  I hope we don't ever forget how to read and write.  I had a seminary professor whose name I can't recall, who taught a class whose subject I can't remember, but he said one thing that stuck with me for some reason.  He said, "Here's my advice for each of you.  Be a writer."  So I challenge you to write something that will make me visualize and empathize!  Let's get creative!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Persecution of the Church Begins By Teaching That All Church-Goers Are The Church

D.S. al Coda is Back!

The Greatest War Hero of All Time